Dr. Gregory W. Stewart is a nationally recognized expert in the non-operative treatment of musculoskeletal disorders in adults. He also specializes in disability prevention, rehabilitative medicine, sports medicine, and has a particular interest in sports concussion. Dr. Stewart is the director of the Sports Concussion Management Program, he is an Associate Professor of Orthopaedics at the Tulane School of Medicine, and he is the team physician for the Tulane Department of Athletics. He has served as team physician for professional, collegiate and high school teams for more than 30 years.
In 2020, Dr. Stewart and and his team launched the Tulane University Center for Brain Health, in partnership with the Gary Sinise Foundation Avalon Network. As Medical Director, Stewart leads the veteran-focused program, which was created to address the unique medical needs of members of the armed forces.
In addition to co-directing the Center for Sport, Dr. Stewart works with former professional athletes as Medical Director of the Professional Athlete Care Team at Tulane Medical Center. He leads the NFL Benefits Neurological Care Program, NFL Player Care Foundation Healthy Body and Mind Screening Program, and the Trust (powered by the NFLPA) Brain and Body and Milestone Wellness Assessment programs.
Dr. Stewart is active in professional associations in sports medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation. He was a major contributor to the successful passage of the Louisiana Youth Concussion Act. Dr. Stewart has also received funding from the National Institute of Disability and Rehabilitation Research of the U.S. Department of Education to examine the effects of mild traumatic brain injury in high school football athletes.
Awards & Honors
- Greater New Orleans Sports Awards Committee, Jimmy Collins Special Award 2020-2021
- Tulane Athletics Hall of Fame 2019
- Best Doctors in America List 2017 – 2020
- Louisiana Athletic Trainers’ Association, Sports Medicine Person of the Year, 2018
- Southeast Athletic Trainers’ Association, Sports Medicine Person of the Year, 2017
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2011 – 2021
- Louisiana High School Athletic Associations Distinguished Service Award, 2012
- Best Doctors in America List 2017-2020
- Who's Who in the World 2018-2020
- America's Most Honored Professionals 2019-2020