Dr. Gregory W. Stewart is the Chief of the Section of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and the W. Kennon McWilliams Professor in Sports Medicine at Tulane University. Nationally recognized in the Department of Orthopaedics, Dr. Stewart specializes in disability prevention, rehabilitative medicine, sports medicine, and has a particular interest in sports concussion. He is the director of the Sports Concussion Management Program and team physician at Tulane, and he has served as team physician for professional, collegiate and high school teams for more than 35 years.
Dr. Stewart is active in professional associations in sports medicine and physical medicine and rehabilitation. He was a major contributor to the successful passage of the Louisiana Youth Concussion Act. He received funding from the U.S Department of Education’s National Institute of Disability and Rehabilitation Research to examine the effects of mild traumatic brain injury in high school football athletes.
Dr. Stewart earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Houston Baptist University in 1982 and a medical degree from University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine in 1986. He completed an internship and residency at Louisiana State University/Charity Hospital. Dr. Stewart is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
• Co-Founder and Co-Director, Tulane Center for Sport
• Medical Director, Tulane School of Medicine NFL Player Care Foundation Healthy Body and Mind Screening program
• Medical Director, Tulane Institute of Sports Medicine’s The Trust (powered by the NFLPA) Brain and Body program
• Medical Director, Tulane Center for Brain Health
• Associate Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics at Tulane School of Medicine
Awards & Honors
- Greater New Orleans Sports Awards Committee, Jimmy Collins Special Award 2020-2021
- Tulane Athletics Hall of Fame 2019
- Best Doctors in America List 2017 – 2022
- Louisiana Athletic Trainers’ Association, Sports Medicine Person of the Year, 2018
- Southeast Athletic Trainers’ Association, Sports Medicine Person of the Year, 2017
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2011 – 2022
- Louisiana High School Athletic Associations Distinguished Service Award, 201
- Who's Who in the World 2018-2020
- America's Most Honored Professionals 2019-2022